Home 2018 July Principal’s Pen | Lightning Carnival, Maths Competition, Kindergarten Enrolments & more

Principal’s Pen | Lightning Carnival, Maths Competition, Kindergarten Enrolments & more

anderson-lynne-outdoor

Dear Parents and Families,

Welcome back to Term 3. I hope you all had a relaxing and enjoyable break from the school run! This term we have a number of special events taking place including our exciting Book Week and our Faction Sports Carnival to name just a few.

Lightning Carnival

Today our Year 4, 5 and 6 students took part in the Lightning Carnival, competing against teams from Halidon, Dalmain, Marangaroo and Glendale Primary Schools and we were so lucky with the beautiful weather. It was lovely to see the great sportsmanship and smiles on everyone’s faces. Thank you to Mr Rees for organising this fantastic day.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Australian Mathematics Competition

The Australian Maths Competition was introduced in Australian 1978 and was the first Australia wide maths competition for students. The competition has now spread internationally, with students from over 30 countries competing. Students are asked to solve 30 problems in 60 minutes. This competition is open to our Year 4, 5 and 6 students. Last term I asked for interested students to register their interest and on August the 9th, 40 students will be taking part. I hope all participants enjoy the test and do their very best.

Kindergarten Enrolments

We still have spaces available for Kindy 2019, for children who reside in our local area. If you have a child who was born between the 1st of July 2014 and the 30th of June 2015 please come to the office to complete an enrolment application.

Reports

Last year was the first year that reports were emailed to families. This has proven to be a very successful mode of delivery.   As you may be aware, the electronic copy of your child’s report needs to be downloaded or printed within four weeks of the date sent.  After that time, unfortunately, requests to re-send will incur a cost.

Staff Car Park

Last term there were some near misses with parents using the staff car park both before and after school. I am asking all parents to please stop using this area for drop-off and pick-up each day. The staff car park can be a very busy place with not only staff cars but also contractors and other school visitors moving in and out of this area. While I recognise that parking can be difficult at the beginning and end of school days, it is student safety that must be paramount. Parents’ cooperation with this request would be very much appreciated.

P&C Scitech Night

Our P&C will be holding a Scitech Evening on Friday the 10th of August. For more information please see Skoolbag or the flier which was sent home this week. Our next P&C Meeting will be held on Tuesday 24th July at 6.30 pm in the staff room.

School Board

Our next Board meeting will be held on Thursday the 26th of July at 8.45 am in the staffroom.

Resiliency Rap

Over many years as an educator and a parent, I have developed an interest in what builds resiliency in children. I do not profess to be an expert, but in the next few issues of this ‘Resiliency Rap’, I’d like to share what I have learned. One of the aspirations in our new Business Plan is, “To enable students to know what resources they have to build competence when they face mental and physical challenges.”  I would like to start a conversation with all parents about how we can work together to build the personal and social capability, and resiliency of our children.

By ‘resiliency’, I’m, talking about the ability to overcome challenges and to bounce back when problems arise. I think we all want to raise our children to be resilient and emotionally strong so that they can deal with the everyday ups and downs they will experience, be it receiving a lower grade than expected, having a disagreement with a friend in the play ground or grazing their knee on the basketball court. We know that by encouraging resilience in childhood we will set them up to cope with major challenges they may face later on in life as teenagers and adults.

So what are the building blocks for resiliency and how can we ‘grow’ it in our children? Research shows that resiliency can change over time and in different situations and that it can be learned.

Beyond Blue recently commissioned research into defining resilience and investigating programs that promote it in children. The research found that there are five areas that offer the best chance for building resilience in children (see diagram below). If I apply these findings to my own family, I can see how the five factors may have shaped my children’s resiliency.  I have noticed that they each handle diversity very differently. They each have their own unique personality and temperament and they have each been influenced by different school friendships, sporting groups and wider community influences. For more on Beyond Blue’s research and practical strategies for building resiliency, go to https://healthyfamilies.beyondblue.org.au/healthy-homes/building-resilience

In the next ‘Resiliency Rap’ I will be looking at the first factor, ‘’Build, strengthen and promote supportive relationships” in more detail.

Lynne

Lynne Anderson | PRINCIPAL